Around 5:30 pm tonight, several fire departments were responding to a 2nd alarm fire in Boone County.
Initial reports are saying the structure fire is near 648 Highway 20 near Cherry Valley/Boone. That address is the FPM Heat Treating.
Several fire departments are enroute to help battle the fire.
Update from RS fans
“Currently a MABAS 4th alarm structure fire in progress at FPM Heat Treat at 640 US Rte 20 in Cherry Valley. Search and rescue complete; all-clear issued. Requesting Belvidere Fire MDU (mass decontamination unit) for ammonia tank. Unit 393 to deliver. Actively pumping water now. Cherry Valley ladder truck out of service; 2nd ladder still requested. Requesting ComEd and Nicor to scene. Ambulance on site; 2nd ambulance en route. Rockford Fire en route with ladder and chief.”
(AP) – Authorities say 15 people were taken to hospitals after an ammonia leak at a Birds Eye food plant in southeastern Wisconsin.
Multiple agencies responded early Sunday to the plant in the Village of Darien.
Authorities say 140 people were working overnight at the factory when alarms and sensors started going off. Ammonia is used at the facility for the freezing and cooling of food.
A hazardous materials team official says 15 people were taken to five area hospitals. New Jersey-based Pinnacle Foods, which owns Birds Eye, said Sunday night that most have been released, while three people remain under observation.
Seventy-five workers were checked at the scene and released. The Janesville Gazette reports authorities suspect a “mechanical malfunction” led to the leak.
Officials say there is no threat to the community.
Details are minimal right now.
Around 6 am several area fire departments were responding to a 5th alarm MABAS.
There is a HAZMAT situation at a business on Highway X, near Darien Wisconsin.
An ammonia leak at the business.
Local fire departments are responding to assist.
It is near Birds Eye Foods
W8880 Co Rd X, Darien, WI 53114
LATEST UPDATE: Just after 8 pm on July 27, 2018, a call came out for a house fire showing flames at 11102 Meadowlark Ln in Belvidere, IL. A neighbor who was outside working on her car reported hearing a large explosion, which came from the tires of one of the vehicles exploding due to the heat of the fire. She helped assist getting the family of four out of the house. The fire appears to have started in the garage, spreading to the attic and eventually the rest of the house. A neighboring house also sustained minor siding damage from the heat of the fire. The red cross is helping the family and no injuries are being reported at this time. There is an unconfirmed report that one fireman might have been hurt, but we can’t confirm that at this time. A few crews are still on the scene working hot spots at this time. Fire crews from Capron, Belvidere, District 2, and South Beloit are a few of the departments that responded to the fire.
Shortly after 8 pm tonight several emergency personnel were responding to a house fire in Boone County
It happened in the 11000 block of Whip-Poor-Will Lane. The house is reported to be fully engulfed. All occupants are out.
This is a MABAS box 10, several area fire departments are en route to assist.
Around 2:10 pm today the Harlem Roscoe FD pulled a MABAS Box 11 to the box level
There is a structure fire near Roscoe, in the 1000 block of Pinesap Place
Reports of a structure fire near this location.
Several area fire departments are en route to assist
Staging area is near Old River and Roscoe
The Harlem-Roscoe Fire Department is reporting that a call came in around 2 pm for a home full of smoke on Pinesap. When first units arrived, the found two residents outside the house needing to be treated for smoke inhalation, after they had gone inside the smoke filled home to rescue their pets before the fire department had arrived. A MABAS was toned out, but later cancelled after the fire was found next to an aquarium on the first floor of the home.
Around midnight the North Park Fire Department were dispatched for an attic fire.
It happened in the 800 block of Kingsley in Machesney Park.
The residents were able to safely escape and no injuries were reported.
The fire is believed to may have started in the attic area.
The resident believes it was an electrical issue, because they could hear the buzzing sound of the electricity. They pulled the circuit breakers and still heard the noise. There was smoke inside the house, then they evacuated.
When emergency personnel arrived on scene, they confirmed smoke was showing and a MABAS (Mutual Aid) was toned out for other area fire departments to assist.
Around 9 pm tonight a MABAS was toned out by the Beloit FB. At least 15 area fire departments were dispatched to assist the Beloit FD for a structure fire, which started on the Northeast side of the building where the electrical room is housed. When crews arrived a large fire and heavy smoke was reported from the exterior of that part of the building. Crews were able to quickly put it out, but continued to be on scene for a few more hours after they extinguished the fire while employees of the plant worked to cut power to plant so fire crews could safely inspect the interior of the building to ensure the fire was completely out.
It is suspected the fire was electrical, but the cause is still under investigation.
One person was injured in the fire, receiving burns, and was transported via ambulance to a UW hospital. No fire fighters or civilians were hurt.
The fire was at 4220 S Walters Rd, at the Linde North America Inc plant.
Beloit Scanner is reporting there is 600,000 gallons of Nitrogen inside the building.
Nitrogen: the chemical element of atomic number 7, a colorless, odorless unreactive gas that forms about 78 percent of the earth’s atmosphere. Liquid nitrogen (made by distilling liquid air) boils at 77.4 kelvins (-195.8°C) and is used as a coolant.
Update from Beloit Scanner: They have requested the medical helicopter to the scene. One person is suffering burns. Still developing.
Genie Mitok Hollenbeck:The explosion sounded like a jet plane & then a huge cloud of black smoke.
UPDATE – 7:00 PM: Fire officials have confirmed that a dog did pass away in the fire.
UPDATE – 1:00PM:
Around 9:37AM call came out for a house fire at 505 Memorial Ave in Rockford, IL. Win-Bur-Sew Fire Department was asking for surrounding agencies to be on stand by for a possible support. By 9:42AM a call came out for a MABAS Box 3 alarm fire and supporting was being called in from all across Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. Arrived on scene around 10:30 am as stations were still pulling up on scene, upon arrival, two structures were damaged by fire. Between 9:42Am-11:10AM it became a MABAS Box 6 alarm fire. No one was reported to be home at either of the residences at the time the fire started, but they were notified and were on scene. No fatalities or injuries are being reported at this time, though there are a few reports there might have been a dog in one of the homes, but that can not be confirmed still at this time. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time. Fire marshals were en route to the scene. Between 10-15 departments were estimated to have responded to the fire from across Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. Crews were still on scene fighting spot fires/hot spots in the attic of one of the buildings.
Here is the latest from the MABAS Box 6 alarm fire at 505 Memorial Ave in Rockford.
Two homes damages. No fatalities and no one was inside the homes at the time the fires occurred. Unconfirmed reports a dog might have been inside or injured, but they can not confirm that at this time. At least 15 departments are on scene from all across Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin.
Crews are still on scene battling flames in one of the buildings. More photos and video to come!
We want to say thank you to our mutual aid partners who filled our stations and helped fight the fire at Beloit Box Board. Our media release has more information below:
A three-alarm fire was extinguished around 1 a.m. Tuesday after crews from southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois battled a fire that was reported around 10 p.m. Monday at Beloit Box Board, 801 Second St.
One employee was in the building at the time; that employee safely evacuated without injury. There were no injuries reported to any civilian or firefighter.
Flames were visible from the roof of the building upon City of Beloit Fire Department arrival. Due to the space constraints in the building, equipment in the building, and the level of the fire, a three-alarm response was needed to safely extinguish the fire.
Thirty-three units from other area departments responded to the three-alarm fire in addition to crews from the City of Beloit Fire Department. Five additional units responded to back-fill City of Beloit fire stations. The City of Beloit Fire Department wants to thank the following departments for responding: Town of Beloit, South Beloit, Janesville, Town of Turtle, North Park, Harlem Roscoe, Rockton, Edgerton, Milton, Cherry Valley, Loves Park, Boone County District 2, Boone County District 3, Delavan, Elkhorn, Clinton, Sharon, Monroe, Rockford, Capron, Pecatonica, Belvidere, and Win Bur Sew.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. A damage estimate is unavailable at this time.
Around 10 pm tonight several area fire departments were responding to a commercial structure fire.
A MABAS to the 3rd alarm was toned out for a fire in the 800 block of 2nd st in Beloit.
That is at Beloit Box Board at 801 2nd st
There was a confirmed fire in the roof area of the business.