The City of Rockford Health and Human Services Department, the Community Action Agency for Boone and Winnebago Counties, Announces the Start of the Energy Assistance Program
ROCKFORD, Ill. – The City of Rockford Health and Human Services Department, as administrator of the Home Energy Assistance Program in Boone and Winnebago counties, is pleased to announce that funds are available to assist income-eligible households with their natural gas, propane and electric bills and furnace assistance.
The program will begin September 1, 2021 for all income-eligible households. Applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis through May 31, 2022. There will be no priority groups this program year. Households in need are encouraged to apply.
Households must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty level to receive a benefit from the LIHEAP Program. Beginning September 3, 2021 there will be an option to accept a one-time payment to your utility provider, or to enroll in PIPP (Percentage of Income Payment Plan) which consists of a monthly benefit you will receive as long as you make your monthly payment that will be determined at the time of intake. PIPP is available for LIHEAP eligible households who are customers of one of the following utilities: Ameren Illinois, ComEd, Nicor Gas, North Shores Gas and Peoples Gas. PIPP applicants will be enrolled on a first-come, first-served basis and the program will be offered until March 31, 2022 or when City of Rockford Health and Human Services Department has reached the maximum capacity of households for the program. The 30-day income guidelines for LIHEAP and PIPP are based on Federal Poverty Guidelines, State Median Income and the number of persons living in the household. The guidelines are as follows: 1-$2,147, 2-$2,903, 3-$3,660, 4-4,417. Go to rockfordil.gov to know income limits for households with 5 members and more.
The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) provides one-time benefits to income eligible homeowners and renters to help with energy bills and for reconnection of energy service. Propane customers are encouraged to apply when the program opens in September to take greater advantage of lower propane prices. Propane prices typically increase during the winter months so by applying early propane users will see their LIHEAP benefit go further.
You must call 844-710-6919 on Friday mornings to make an appointment. The first opportunity to schedule an appointment will be Friday, September 3, beginning at 8 a.m.. When you schedule your appointment the application process will be explained to you.
To submit an application, you MUST submit ALL documentation required:
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the prior 30-day period beginning with the date of application.
- Proof of Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all household members. Individuals without a SSN or ITIN can still apply and City of Rockford Health and Human Services Department will advise accordingly.
- A copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days.
- Other documents may be needed based on your household situation. If you have questions regarding this, please call our office.
- A copy of rental agreement (if renting) showing that utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact.
Please call City of Rockford Health and Human Services Department at 844-710-6919 for outreach locations and schedules, and for information on what documents are needed to apply and different ways to submit your application.
- All parties involved are innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law.
- We can only provide information that IS provided to us.
- As you know, the local police encrypted and are not transparent.
- Some information may not be accurate. If there are any errors please let us know so we can try to possibly correct the errors.
- Several people have asked questions, and we have tried to answer as many as possible on our FAQ page.
- You can follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook.