(AP) — A man charged with killing a pregnant northern Illinois woman and her three children in 2016 is representing himself in the quadruple homicide without the help of a lawyer.
Eric Lawon Jackson, 38, has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder in the killings. Jackson has chosen to represent himself and has been filing court motions handwritten from jail, the Rockford Register Star reported.
First Assistant Winnebago County State’s Attorney Ken LaRue said that “everyone has a right to represent themselves if they want.”
But he added that if Jackson represents himself during his trial, he would not be able to claim “ineffective assistance of counsel” as a basis for any appeal because that type of appeal is waived when defendants represent themselves.
LaRue said defendants who attempt to defend themselves often end up hiring an attorney or asking for a public defender before their trial begins.
Winnebago County Public Defender Nick Zimmerman declined to comment, saying he had briefly been among the lawyers representing Jackson before he chose to represent himself.
Jackson was charged in December in the deaths of 27-year-old Keandra Austin and her children, 9-year-old V’Angelo Totty, 6-year-old Keeryn Austin and six-month-old Allya Beasley Austin.
Austin was 16 weeks pregnant when she was stabbed to death in September 2016.
Her children were killed by smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning after their rental house in Rockford was set on fire.
See a scene,
Snap a photo or video of the scene,
Send it to us at RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
CLICK HERE TO Show Your Support
Or you can scan this QR code with your cell phone camera!
- All parties involved are innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law.
- We can only provide information that IS provided to us.
- As you know, the local police encrypted and are not transparent.
- Some information may not be accurate.
If there are any errors please let us know so we can try to possibly correct the errors.
- DO NOT go to a scene. Avoid the area.
- Do NOT post the names of those involved in the comments.
- Several people have asked questions, and we have tried to answer as many as possible on our FAQ page.
- Sources: If the source is not listed above, then that means the source wanted to remain anonymous.
- Due to police encryption and the lack of transparency, we can not confirm any information that is posted.
If officials do release information, and we become aware of it. We will try to update the posts.
- All our information is for entertainment purposes only.
- If something is not posted, then we are probably not aware of it. Email us at RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
- You must read all our terms and services and the disclaimers below and agree to all of them. If not, then leave.
- You can follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook.