Sterling, IL. –
On December 3rd at 11:04 p.m, 9-1-1 received a call of a house fire at 10031 Ridge Road in Rural Rock Falls. Sterling Fire Department responded to an automatic aid alarm to assist the Rock Falls Fire Department. Dixon City, Dixon Rural, Milledgeville, Prophetstown, Tampico, Polo, Harmon, Dixon Rural, Amboy, Mount Morris and the Chadwick fire districts assisted along with CGH EMS support.
It is with great sadness the City of Sterling notifies the community that in the early hours of December 4th, while Sterling Fire Lieutenant Garrett Ramos was inside fighting the house fire, the floor collapsed beneath him, necessitating a rescue operation. EMS crews attempted life saving techniques en route to CGH Medical Center where doctors continued their life saving efforts to no avail. This is the first line of duty death in the history of the Sterling Fire Department.
Lieutenant Ramos was 38 years old and served with the Sterling Fire Department since October of 2012. He was an amazing individual of the highest caliber on and off duty. He leaves behind his wife and 2 young children. It is a truly devastating loss to his family, the City family, especially his brothers in the fire service, and to the larger Sterling community.
The City asks that you please keep his family and the brotherhood of Sterling firefighters in your prayers as we grieve the loss of one of the finest gentlemen one could ever meet.
The State Fire Marshal will be conducting a full investigation. As such, the City of Sterling and the Sterling Fire Department are referring all questions to the Office of the State Fire Marshal due to the pending investigation. No further information is planned for release at this time.
The Mayor has ordered all flags in Sterling to be lowered to half staff in memorium for Lt Garrett Ramos of the Sterling Fire Department. Flags should remain at half staff until dusk of the day of his funeral.
- All parties involved are innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law.
- We can only provide information that IS provided to us.
- As you know, the local police encrypted and are not transparent.
- Some information may not be accurate.
If there are any errors please let us know so we can try to possibly correct the errors.
- Several people have asked questions, and we have tried to answer as many as possible on our FAQ page.
- Sources: If the source is not listed above, then that means the source wanted to remain anonymous.
- All our information is for entertainment purposes only.
- If something is not posted, then we are probably not aware of it. Email us at RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
- You must read all our terms and services. And agree to all of them. If not, then leave.
- You can follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook.