On Tuesday, August 17th, 2021, Boone County Sheriff’s Police arrested two
Belvidere men on Animal Cruelty charges.
Cesar Tejeda-Garcia, 36 years old of Belvidere, Illinois, was charged with one count of Animals in Entertainment (Class 4 Felony).
Tejeda-Garcia was released from the Boone County Jail after posting a 10,000.00 (10%) bond.
Juan Lara, 35 years old of Belvidere, Illinois, was charged with one count of Animals in Entertainment (Class 4 Felony).
Lara was released from the Boone County Jail after posting a 10,000.00 (10%) bond.
The arrests of Tejeda-Garcia and Lara came after a two week joint investigation by the Boone County Sheriff’s Office and Boone County Animal Control. Boone County Sheriff’s Deputies executed a search warrant on a vehicle located in the 300 block of Oak Street in Belvidere and another search warrant in the 12000 block of Poplar Grove Road in rural Poplar Grove. Deputies seized several items related to Cockfighting, including training pieces, medications, log books and over 100 chickens.
The Boone County Sheriff’s Office and Boone County Animal Control continue to investigate the incident and additional charges are possible. A class 4 felony is punishable by one (1) to three (3) years in the Illinois Department of Corrections.
Boone County Animal Control took possession of the animals and re-homed them.
The Boone County Sheriff’s Office encourages anyone having information on a crime or narcotic trafficking to call the Boone County Sheriff’s Office at 815-544-2144 or Crime Stoppers at 815-547-7867.
Members of the public are reminded that these are only charges and are not proof of the defendant’s guilt. Every defendant is presumed innocent and is entitled to a fair trial in which it is the State’s burden to prove his or her guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
- All parties involved are innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law.
- We can only provide information that IS provided to us.
- As you know, the local police encrypted and are not transparent.
- Some information may not be accurate. If there are any errors please let us know so we can try to possibly correct the errors.
- Several people have asked questions, and we have tried to answer as many as possible on our FAQ page.
- You can follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook.