On Thursday July 22nd at approximately 9:15 p.m., Rockford Police Officers responded to the corner of Central Avenue and School Street for a report of a hit and run crash involving children.
Upon arrival officers were advised two children had been struck by a dark colored car that subsequently fled the scene. Officers observed both children, a four year old boy and a 10 year old girl were still at the scene.
The boy was transported to a local hospital with life threatening injuries. Earlier this morning, he died from the injuries sustained in this incident.
The girl was also transported to a local hospital and is currently listed in critical condition.
Rockford Police Officers conducted a follow up investigation into the incident and the suspect was identified as 30 year old Javaughn Cooper.
At approximately 9:20 p.m., SCOPE officers located the suspect vehicle near Kilburn and as they attempted a traffic stop, Cooper fled on foot.
After a brief foot chase, he was taken into custody.
After a review of the facts of the case, the Winnebago County States Attorneys Office authorized the following charges for Cooper:
Leaving the scene of a accident involving injury/death (2 counts) and resisting arrest.
*The charges are merely accusations and all individuals are considered innocent unless proven guilty in a court of law.
Officials Confirm Anything or Release Information: Per RPD release.
- All parties involved are innocent, until proven guilty in a court of law.
- We can only provide information that IS provided to us.
- As you know, the local police encrypted and are not transparent.
- Some information may not be accurate.
- If there are any errors please let us know so we can try to possibly correct the errors.
- Several people have asked questions, and we have tried to answer as many as possible on our FAQ page.
- You can follow us on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook.