Welcome to Rockford Scanner’s FAQ page.
Below you will find some answers to the most frequently asked questions.
- What is Rockford Scanner? Rockford Scanner is the areas leading online news website. We bring you breaking news, events, plus much more!
- Who runs Rockford Scanner? Rickie Traeger and several volunteers. And all the amazing fans out there the help keep us informed!
It is the fans who deserve the credit for RS, you guys and gals are amazing! Thank You!
- How do I submit a tip? Email us at RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
- Can I follow you on social media? Yes, click the following links to follow us on social media:
Click HERE to follow us on Facebook,
Click HERE to follow us on Twitter,
Click HERE to follow us on Youtube
- Why do I not see a scene on your website? Due to the police encryption these days, we rely heavily on fan reporting scenes to us.
If we do not have it posted, usually means we are unaware of the scene. Please contact us and let us know! RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
- Why can’t you cover the news 24/7? As much as we would love to be able to cover the news and events 24/7. It is just physically impossible to do so. We have personal lives as well. As much as I would love to be Superman and be able to be at many places all at one time. I am no Superman and I am human. So as much as I would love for RS to cover news and events 24/7, right now it is impossible to do so. I do try to share content from other sources, if we are not able to cover the news or event. On that topic, I am thinking about bringing on some volunteers. If you are interested, let me know! If you are interested in volunteering for Rockford Scanner, click here ~ http://rockfordscanner.com/volunteer-for-rockford-scanner/
Also it take money to operate Rockford Scanner. There are many expenses.
So if you would like for Rockford Scanner to provide the community with more breaking news coverage, then please take a second and help by donating, to help offset some of the expenses. You can donate at http://rockfordscanner.com/donate-to-rockford-scanner/
- Times of the incident: We usually post the times of the incidents in the articles. If the time is not mentioned, then usually we do not have the information. Usually because the departments involved don’t release that information, or the information was not provided to us. But we try putting the dates and times in, in every article when it is possible.
- Rockford Scanner have a Trademark? Yes, we are officially trademarked! You can find it in the trademark database
- Legal to listen to a police scanner? Yes, It is legal to listen to a police scanner. It is however illegal to listen to a police scanner while committing a crime.
You can listen to the scanner on our website at http://rockfordscanner.com/listen-to-the-police-scanner/ or at Click Here
- How do I volunteer for Rockford Scanner? We are currently seeking volunteers! If you are interested, email us!
- Photographing police, is it legal? Yes, it is legal to photograph police and scenes. If you do, keep in mind a few things. Stay on public property, do not get close to the 1st responders, do not interfere with the 1st responders, etc… An officer has to have a warrant to seize your equipment. You do not have to delete your content. More information on the ACLU website and at https://youtu.be/hFZmrE7SVGg
- Will you post something for me? If you send it, we will review it and then decide.
Not everything that is sent to us is posted for various reasons.
- I see an error on your website, How can I contact you to fix it? As you know we are all human and do commit errors at times. On occasion I like to purposely do grammar errors, to poke at the trolls. Also, police have encrypted so the information we post is from various sources and may or may not be accurate. We post the information that is provided to us. We strive for accuracy! If you see something that is not right, contact us and let us know, please! RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
- What is an “In Progress Person”? Police have labeled the following crimes as “In Progress Person” in the past: Shootings, stabbings, robberies, kidnappings, deaths.
- What is an “In Progress Property”? Police have labeled home invasions and burglaries as this in the past.
- What is a “Weapons Violation? Police said they label their shots fired calls as weapons violations.
- What is a “Medical Assist”? Police have labeled the following crimes as this, in the past: Shooting victims, Stabbing victims, Overdoses, Deaths.
- What is “Check For Well Being”? Police have labeled the following crimes as this, in the past: home invasions, murder victims, rapes, deaths, etc…
- At times I get an error message when I visit the site? We are sorry for the inconvenience. What happens is a lot of traffic hits the website at one time. Causing the website to do the error. We recommend refreshing your browser (hitting F5) and that should fix the problem. Also during the first week or so after a new server, there is a thing called DNS propagation.
- What happened to the maps? Update: We have re-added the maps. Posted at the bottom of most (but not all) articles. If there is a major intersection or an area that is well known to the public, then I will probably not be adding a map to save bandwidth on our server.
- East & West Side? We used to be technical and say Ex: Northwest side when we were describing areas. Many complained that it was to “hard” for them to comprehend, or some were arguing about it. So we simplify things and ANYTHING EAST OF THE ROCK RIVER IS EAST SIDE, ANYTHING WEST OF THE ROCK RIVER IS THE WEST SIDE. Even when we simplified it, people still complain….SMH, LOL. So I am making it short and simple so everyone can comprehend. East of the river, East side. West of the river, West side
- Maps in the article: We try putting the maps in all our articles. Some times they are not. Reason being is, because if it is a major intersection or a popular area. Then most people already know the area and locations. So we do not post the maps on those. Or if there are more than one location in the article, we can not put multiple maps in the article. Now with that being said, I am trying to learn how to add multiple locations to 1 map. I have not figured it out yet, but as soon as I do I will be doing that for those types of articles.
People asking “Where at” in the comments: The locations are usually posted in the articles. If not the exact locations, then the general area nearby. So all you have to do is take 2 seconds and click on the article. And usually within the first few sentences of the paragraph, the location is mentioned.
Why can I not see my comment or someone else’s comment? Social media, specifically Facebook has a spam filter. To weed out the spammers and other bad people. Your comment might have been flagged for spam and needs to be reviewed before others to see it. That happens often, so do not get discouraged.
UPDATE: Due to a large volume of trolls and people that like to purposely spread misinformation in the comments, and various other reasons. We are going to disable commenting on our social media. So you will only be able to see your own, and your social media friends comments only.
- What makes you choose which FOIA cases to file on? : There are various reasons. Mainly because someone requested us to do so. Also, check out the next question as well.
- Why do you take so long to post FOIA information, after the scene happened long ago? : Police won’t release FOIA information on open cases. So we will have to wait for everything to get done in the court system, and then file a FOIA on it. Yes, we know it is awhile, but police won’t release the full FOIA on something, until it is done in the courts.
- Where can I view the FOIA information at? : You can view the page at http://rockfordscanner.com/freedom-of-information-act-requests/ but we have also been filing them as posts now instead. That way it is easier for people to find when they search our website. You can view that at http://rockfordscanner.com/category/foia-requests/
Rockford Scanner Rules: Simple basic rules to follow
- No racism
- No trolling
- No posting spam or viruses
- No fighting
- Read our terms and agree to them
- No post to pages, links, blogs, etc… unless you ask us first.
- Again, No Racism.
It is really that simple! Behave yourselves and enjoy!