Get our posts sent to your email for free, as soon as we post them! All you have to do is look at the top right of our website for “Get New Posts By Email” and input your email address into that box. And then click “subscribe” that is it! Or you can scroll towards the bottom and click on the “Follow Us” button
RS note: I will not be able to attend to cover today’s rally. But if someone there wants to live stream it, and send us their link to the livestream. We will be more than happy to share it on our page. RockfordScanner@Gmail.com Again, sorry I will not be able to attend today’s rally to cover it.
Today’s protest is at Haskell Park at 5 pm
From the organizers: Please join us at Haskell Park on June 2nd as we continue to remember the lives of those lost to police brutality. Still we stand in solidarity with the uprising in Minneapolis. We are also standing against the police brutality (beatings, tear gassing and tazing) which occurred on May 30th. We would love for as many people as possible to come while also adhering to social distancing so make sure you bring your mask. Black voices will be focused. White allies are encouraged to attend but also realize that this is a black centered event. There are a list of demands which will be released later today regarding actions we believe should be taken by those who have the ability to do so. We are not going to let the media control or derail the message we are set on sending.
From RPD: We are aware that another protest is planned for today. We support peaceful protests and the right of individuals to express their frustration and anger. We support those who speak loudly so they are finally heard. However, we cannot condone violence, destruction and looting. We encourage protest participants to express themselves in a safe and peaceful manner. The safety of our residents, officers and the community is our top priority. Mayor Tom McNamara reached out to the organizers and is hoping that he and Police Chief Dan O’Shea can meet with them today to begin dialogue ahead of the protest.
1. We call on the Mayor and city leadership to make body cams a number one priority and provide local funding for equipment and software, and until said equipment is obtained and in use we call for the Mayor and city leadership to reign in/cease and desist the Rockford Police Department that began aggressively violating the human rights and racial profiling African Americans by pulling them over & searching them. One incident has been caught on tape.
2. We want an investigation into the violence at the hands of RPD during the protests near RPD District 1 on May 30th, 2020. There is a YouTube video in which an officer repeatedly kicked someone while the person was already detained. That must be investigated and the officers responsible should be fired.
3. We want the Federal Bureau of Investigation to re-examine the murders of Demetrius Bennet, Logan Bell, Kerry Blake, and Micheal Sago Jr.
4. The city must begin an initiative to demilitarize the police, by liquiding such assets, and diverting resources to areas that have been economically divested from. The police at this point from the photos on Saturday May 30th looked more like an occupying army than a group of people meant to keep people safe. That must change immediately.
5. Organizations and Community Leaders need to start having more serious conversations about moving beyond police as the only source of safety in our communities and try to imagine what community based forms of safety would look like. The basis of policing within this country has always been to maintain social control of black people.
If you have information on this, you can contact us at RockfordScanner@Gmail.com
We will keep you anonymous.
If you do not want to contact the police directly, you can contact us and we will relay your information to the proper agencies if needed, and keep you anonymous. http://rockfordscanner.com/contact-us/
Disclaimer: As you know the local police have encrypted, have not released any information, etc…
They rarely ever do release information to the public, since encrypting. So do not expect any updates.
The information that is posted was provided to us via various sources. So we can not guarantee the accuracy of this article.
We can only provide you the information that IS provided to us. If police and/or officials do release information, we will try to update this.
If you know of any corrections or errors, please contact us.
This is for entertainment purposes only.