Rockford Scanner™: Shooting at Dixon High School

Update – Mother of Suspected Shooter Speaks Out:  

Update – Press Conference:  Chief of Police for the Dixon Police Department,  Steve Howell  – Just after 8:06AM the Dixon Police Department received reports of an armed male subject in the Dixon High School, that was sent out by school resource officer.  Dixon Police, Lee County Sheriff, Illinois State Police, and Sterling Police Department all responded to the scene.  Several shots were fired near the west gym in the Dixon High School by the suspect where he was confronted by the school resource officer [Mark Dallas].  When confronted, the suspect then fled [out the front of the school] and ran westbound on Armoury Drive. The school resource officer continued to pursue the suspect and was shot at several times by the suspect.  The resource officer then returned fire, striking the suspect [in the arm/shoulder].  The suspect was taken into custody just west of Dixon High School and received medical attention for non-life threatening injuries.  The resource officer was placed on administrative leave per policy.  Dixon High School and all surrounding Dixon schools were placed on lockdown.  Dixon High School remains the only school still under lockdown.


Update:  It is being reported that the suspect is a 19-year old former Dixon High School student.  He was confronted by the school resource officer, Mark Dallas, when the suspect pulled out a gun and fired at him.  Dallas then returned fire hitting the suspect in the arm/shoulder.  It appears the incident occurred in/near the gym where graduation practice might have been occurring.

Original Story:  Around 8 am this morning, an armed male was confronted by Dixon police officers at the Dixon High School.  It is unclear whether the male suspect was a student or not at the high school.  It is also not known at this time whether this shooting occurred inside or outside the school, it did occur on school property though.  It has been reported that the suspected initially fired at the police and the police then returned fire. Some reports are saying multiple shots were fired, but that can not be confirmed at this time.  The suspect was injured, but the injuries are non-life threatening and he is now in custody.  No other staff or students were injured.  There are some reports that the school safety officer might have been involved, but it is unclear at this time to what extent.  Dixon police say the suspected acted alone and there is no further threat to the public.

Students at Dixon High School were evacuated to Paige Park where parents can pick them up with a photo ID.  All other Dixon schools remain under lockdown while the incident at the high school is investigated.  Peoria Avenue also remains closed at this time and until further notice as the investigation continues.

This is still developing, so please check back for more updates!